Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Where the Wild Things Are: a good listen.


I went to see Where the Wild Things Are over the weekend and had mixed feelings. I think I was expecting something else. I expected to feel nostalgic maybe, or even happy. I felt the opposite. Not because the movie wasn't good- it was very good- but it was disturbing to me and very sad. I wanted a cathartic scene between Max and Carol. I wanted Max to change somehow. I think he was glad to be home- but I also think he's going to flip out again the next chance he gets.

What I really found interesting was that the wild things were not scary because they were monsters. They were scary because they were so child, no, human-like. Their relationships were broken. They were selfish, moody, and prideful. They could love, but at any moment they could snap and eat you, or worse, disappoint you.

Anyways, I really love the feel Spike Jonze was able to portray. It was very dreamy, but not unrealistic. I think the movie was greatly helped by the soundtrack, something I can't stop listening to at work. I thought I would share it with you. Enjoy Karen O And The Kids.


Where the Wild Things Are Soundtrack

3 comments:

steven + caitlin said...

i agree. i have to say, i didn't really like the movie at all. perhaps i expected too much from it. it was so strange to see childhood represented as the beginning of a probably very messy adulthood. you could practically see max on a couch as a young man throughout the entire thing. his imagination wasn't an escape, rather a projection of his hurt and confusion.

i read this review after i saw the movie and felt it hit the nail on the head for me.

all in all, it added yet another reason i'm afraid to have kids.

http://www.sweetjuniperinspiration.com/2009/10/no-escape.html

mateo said...

is that caitlin talking? maybe you just like that article because it favors an anime movie...

maybe a projection of his problems is a better way of dealing with them than escape. i loved the movie. though i agree, it might be more for adults. i'd have to get some kids' opinions.

Kate said...

what an astute observation, laura, that the monsters were scary because of how human-like they were. i haven't seen the movie but i have to believe that that characterization is dead on.

Welcome!

Welcome!